Today you’re getting two for one! These two recipes are super easy, and they go together perfectly: Salsa Roja, and Migas. Migas are fried tortillas with scrambled eggs; and as I got older I started adding salsa to it, to give it a little kick.
Salsa is a something I have every day. Everyday! I used to buy salsa fresh from the store. I found one I LOVED, but then they stopped making it. No other one was the same…so when I went to Mexico a few months ago, I scheduled a class with Ruth to learn how to make salsa. We learned how to make 5 different kinds of salsas, and I’ve been working to perfect salsa roja for the family since her class.
The recipe for the salsa will last you about two weeks unless you share. It makes quite a big batch, about 45 oz. I usually make this once every week or two.
Gather Ingredients for salsa roja
Tomatoes (2 lbs, or about 8 medium tomatoes)
3 cloves of garlic
dried chipotle peppers
1 tbsp of salt or more to taste
1. Wash tomatoes, peel onion and garlic.
2. Put tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a pan with med heat.
3. Let it all brown. Turning every few minutes to make sure it browns until skin of tomato starts peeling. This part is about 30 minutes.
4. Put tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a blender. Add about 8 oz of water.
5. Blend until it’s smooth.
6. Add chipotle & salt. I usually use 4 chipotle peppers. Start with two peppers, taste, and add more for more spice.
7. Blend until smooth.
Gather ingredients for migas
1 tbsp oil
1. Cut your tortillas into little squares.
2. Put oil in the pan, heat, add tortillas
3. Coat tortillas with oil and let tortillas brown.
4. When the tortillas are getting toasty, add eggs.
5. Scramble the eggs into the tortillas
6. At this point you can add the salsa in the pan and mix, or save the salsa for the topping.
7. Once eggs are cooked, it’s done! Enjoy!
There you have it! A whole meal, all from scratch, and under $10! My mother used to make me migas pretty often when I was younger, and now it’s my comfort food. I hope you enjoy! Ask me a question or leave a comment below if you try it.
Join the mailing list to be the first to know when there's a new collection launch, exclusive promotions, blog posts, and to get a behind-the-scenes look as Karina travels to capture work for new print offerings.